Updates on Podcast, DIA, RNA isolation, and Crab data organization
I provide updates on status and next steps for my different projects.
Today Steven and I recorded a little bit of us talking about the spreadsheet and how I’ll be doing the RNA isolating. What I am going to work on is an episode, or several short episodes, about the background of the project: bitter crab disease; Tanner crabs; Juneau, etc. I also am going to make a quick little intro that we can put at the beginning of all the episodes. I want to make one weekly, or at least release one weekly. And I would like to have some way to make it more easily understandable to people like my mom, or my friends. To do that I think I just have to make sure I explain what I’m talking about more. Obvoiusly I shouldn’t be putting too much time into it because the main focus is on the research itself, but I’m excited and looking forward to learning more about this outreach tool and communication strategy.
I looked at the DIA analysis of the 2015 oysterseed. I have no idea what I’m looking at anymore and am getting confused. I read a Skyline tutorial that Emma recommended I look at in order to learn more about how to tell if Skyline is picking peaks well (tutorial) but I am not fully grasping it. So, Emma is going to stop by on Monday to show me what’s what!
I am going to pick samples such that I’m following individuals throughout the entire project and within treatment groups. I’ll begin next week and will keep track of what I’m doing.
Crab data sheet
I re-organized the data sheet such that it is machine-readabe. Per Steven’s suggestion, I made a unique ID for each sample following this pattern:
6116 is the unique crab ID number (there are three samples with 6116_ at the start, because this data includes only crabs that survived the project, and thus have three samples.
76 is the tube number that the hemolymph sample is in.
9 is the sample day number.